We are proud to have signed up to the Department for Work and Pensions’ Disability Confident Scheme.
The scheme promotes good practice in recruiting, managing and developing people with a disability or health condition and encourages an environment where managers and employees alike feel comfortable talking about their disability or health condition and know they will be supported by the company.
As a Disability Confident Committed Employer we have committed to:
- ensuring an inclusive and accessible recruitment process
- communicating and promoting vacancies
- offering an interview to disabled people who meet the minimum criteria for the job
- anticipating and providing reasonable adjustments as required
- supporting employees who acquire a disability or long term health condition, enabling them to stay in work
- at least one activity that will make a difference for disabled people.
In the UK there are over 7 million people of working age with a disability or long-term health condition, as defined by the Equality Act 2010. They represent 18% of the working-age population and yet only half are in work. This represents a large pool of untapped talent.
At Elexon we recognise the importance of improving efforts to attract and retain disabled employees. Our Diversity Forum recently organised a number of activities for Disability Awareness Week to raise awareness of seen and unseen disabilities, which all colleagues were encouraged to get involved in.